Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Diet

Had an appointment today with Dr. Snyder, my surgeon, to discuss baby stuff. They were running late and kept me waiting for an hour – so annoying. But I did finally get to talk to Dr. S and he gave me some dietary instructions to go over with Dr. M.

Dr. Murahata, my OBGYN, had originally told me she wanted a weight gain of 25-30 pounds but I didn't see how it was going to be physically possible for me to do that. I'd have to sit around eating McDonald's all day just to get enough calories. And I really don't want to gain weight by eating crap. Anyway, Dr. S. suggests a weight gain of 20 pounds, which seems more doable. Plus he wants me to up my protein intake by a lot and wants me to do 3 protein shakes a day (that's 60 grams alone) as opposed to the one a day I've been doing.

Along with that, I'll still need to be drinking 64 oz of water a day minimum plus eating 6 "small" meals a day. But by small he means 6-8 oz of food, which is a LOT for me. I usually only have a meal that big once a day - it's really hard for me to imagine being able to eat that much multiple times a day. Usually my other "meals" are some nuts or a string cheese, etc.

I eat 5 times a day - a protein shake at 9 AM, nuts/cheese/deli meat/etc at noon, another similar snack at 3, then my biggest meal at 6, which is usually half a chicken breast and some veggies or some variation thereof, and then another snack type thing again at 9 PM.

Add in two more protein shakes plus another meal means it looks like I'm going to be basically eating, drinking and peeing ALL DAY LONG for the foreseeable future. Ugh. But anything for Peanut, right?

The good news is that I'm feeling much better – the food aversion seems to be going away and I'm eating better than I have been. I'd actually lost a couple of pounds so far this trimester what with not being able to eat much of anything for the last few weeks. Peanut and I have many fewer conversations which end in uncomfortable retching (me) or gleeful cackling (Peanut) and many more whch go like this:
  • Me: *stares morosely into cabinets and fridge* Meh. How about...this? *holds up random piece of food*
  • Peanut: Meh. *shrugs tiny shoulders*

So while no food is actually good yet, it's also less actively bad. Progress!

I also seem to be getting some of my energy back, although long days on my feet like at Comic Con still really take it out of me. I blame this on having to do things like growing organs for Peanut. Sheesh, do I have to do everything?

No comments: